Wednesday, June 4, 2008

People Do Come Back From Iraq

If any of you remember Maria, she had recently come back from Iraq.

One year after joining the army, she was sent to Iraq.

It’s been almost a year since then and she had returned safely.

(by the way, I forgot my camera at work so pictures were taken with my camera phone)

She called me the day she got back explaining how she has 2 weeks of leave from the army.

She wanted to hang out for old time’s sake and so did I.

I didn’t know she went to Colombia for a week though.

I did wonder why she didn’t call earlier to do stuff.

Anyways, I ended up going to see her the day before she had to leave.

Ended up going to Pappasito’s (her choice) with her mom.

That’s who I thought was all it was going to be.

I met her older brother, Jose, for the first time.

Cool guy, had a cool shirt on and was fun.

Maria also invited her closest friends (whom she considers family), Ashley and Samantha.

I had not seen them in a long time either.

Samantha has a baby boy of her own now, Evan-Tyler (ET).

He’s 3 months old and a cute little thing.

Unfortunately, dinner was bad.

Not the food…we didn’t even get to the food.

Our 45 minute wait for a table ended up being over an hour.

Then we waited almost another hour and didn’t even have our food out.

We decided to leave.

The manager got the cooks to pack up our food to go and we got it for free along with a couple of gift certificates.

It was around 10 by that time and we all split.

Ashley and Samantha left together and Maria’s mom took her brother back to his place.

Maria and I went to her mother’s place.

Saw her step-father, who I also had not seen in a while either.

Her mom came back and we ate our food.

The parents retired for the night and Maria and I just hung out and watched TV and talked like we used to.

Spent a couple hours sharing stories from what we didn’t get to talk about during dinner.

She does remember some of you (not all by name, ha) and asked about you.

She even remembers Café 101 because I took her there one time when she had some leave time early on in her army training days.

Laughed.

Shared more stories.

She was saying how everyone in Colombia was asking about me.

Earlier she showed me pictures/video of her family there.

The little ones had grown up so much in a couple of years.

Oh, and she got me a coffee bean bracelet while she was there as a gift.

She showed me pictures of army buddies and such, not much though since she didn’t have much to show.

Yeah, good times.

It was just good to see her again.

She doesn’t have much to do in Iraq, so I’ll be sending her stuff like pictures and videos to keep her occupied.

Playing the Wii and DS can only go so far, ha.

But yes, people do come back from Iraq.

I am just glad to see her safe, alive, healthy, and doing well.

(all the pictures we took, my eyes were closed because the flash was so bright)

Till next time, Maria.

1 comment: